Sunday 11 October 2009

Happy National Coming Out Day


Today is National Coming Out Day. Tomorrow (October 12th) the UK celebrate it. But today it's celebrated in the rest of the world.

I'm proud to be a bisexual woman but not so proud of the fact that I live in a world that still refuses to give gay people equal rights.

Homosexuality and bisexuality is as natural as heterosexuality . Why should two men or two women not be allowed to marry? It is not a dangerous environment. Open your eyes.

Here in the UK, two people of the same sex are allowed to enter into a 'civil partnership' which gives the individuals pretty much the same legal rights as those in a marriage. This is great. It's fabulous. People can celebrate their love.

But if they have the same rights and responsibilities as a hetero couple, why not call it a marriage? Why can't it just be a wedding and a marriage and be called exactly the same thing?

Same-sex adoption is currently legal in these countries:

- Andorra
- Belgium
- Canada
- Denmark
- Iceland
- the Netherlands
- Norway
- Sweden
- South Africa
- Spain
- the UK
- Uruguay

Only 14 states in the USA support it. And one territory and state in Australia (ACT & WA).

In Germany, Finland, Greenland, Israel, and the Australian state of Tasmania, "stepchild-adoption" is permitted, so that the partner in a civil union can adopt the natural (or sometimes even adopted) child of his or her partner.

I hope that 2010 sees a better awareness of the importance of gay rights. It is not a disease. It is not a sin.


 

13 comments:

Amanda said...

I love the lolcats! I've actually never heard of Coming Out Day. Well, bisexually proud here! :D

And 14 states? Really? I thought we were more like 6 at this point... :( Grr.

serendipity_viv said...

I didn't realise there was a Coming Out Day. How fantastic!

La Coccinelle said...

We Canadians like to complain about our government and laws, but this is one issue that I'm glad I don't have to complain about.

After almost six years of legal same-sex marriage, the churches are still alive and well, heterosexuals are still the majority, and nobody's married a toaster. I guess a lot of those silly arguments have been put to rest (in Canada, anyway).

Lauren said...

AMEN!

I honestly don't get it. We're progressive, right? Why not allow this? Why do people think it's so WRONG for two people of the same gender to get married? To adopt kids? These kids need adopting - why refuse loving parents? I really, really think it's ridiculous and I'm so happy you wrote this.

Lauren said...

Well said! I've never heard of Coming Out Day, but I think that's pretty awesome.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Thanks for all the info on this post! Marriage to a toaster?!!!

Jenny said...

Definitely hoping for better things in 2010.

Ryan said...

Congrats and what a lovely day! I started coming out as a Freshman in HS (15 years ago) so it's always nice to see other's taking the opportunity to live their lives in the open.

Anonymous said...

Great post Ceri. There was a ruling in India recently legalizing gay marraiges and there was such a hue and cry about it. But mostly it was the politicians. But there wasn't any major reaction from the general public which made me happy because although its still nto considered normal, its a start.

The Bookworm said...

Well said! I hadnt heard about National Coming Out Day, that is great.
Cute cats!

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Sarbear said...

I love the LOL cats too! And I live in SLC, Utah, and last year the church here was publicly fighting against gay marriage (the prop 8 thing). That outraged me because a church should not interfere with people's rights to choose, I feel. I'm glad that everyone stood up for the gay rights because I was very disappointed the church tried to intervene.
This was a good post.

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

Great post!
I wasn't aware there was a Coming Out Day, but I'm all for it! I feel lucky to live in Canada, on this point our country is pretty good. I have a couple of gay friends and I know they feel lucky about it too! If only the rest of the world could follow...

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Like the Canucks above me mentioned this is one of the reasons I love Canada. And more importantly the city I live in. Sexuality of all types is openly displayed and accepted here. It's especially wonderful seeing the huge turnout each summer for the Gay Pride parade and festival where media, government officials and the public all celebrate together.