Friday 9 October 2009

random & pointless post

Bugger me. I can't remember the last time I left it a week before I blogged again. Think my addiction to the internet's getting ridiculous. But it's been a good couple of days away from it. No pressure to post anything of importance. Then I opened Google Reader this morning to find 729 unread posts (and that's just from book blogs) - I'm trying to catch up with everyone's blogs but if I miss out one or two of your posts, understand that I'm not a miracle worker. ;-)

So, what's new? Has everyone had a good week?

The parents left for their anniversary holiday last weekend and it's been up to me and baby brother to look after the house. So far, he's done the best job. I've nearly burned the house down . . . twice!

Was cooking Gypsy toast on Tuesday (think you guys call it eggy bread/French toast) and spilled some butter onto the electric hob. Poof! Up comes a flame. I managed to blow it out ... which was a stupid thing given that fire thrives on oxygen.

And this morning I'm getting dressed and the shopping arrives (my parents have it delivered). Baby bro and I dash downstairs to collect it and put it away. Twenty minutes later I realise I've left my hair straighteners switched on ... lying on my bed! Finally managed to get rid of the burning smell but it's safe to say I should never be given any responsibility from now on. How did I manage to live on my own for four years?

I've been having one of those weeks where your head's just at random places. I've been thinking about my new year's resolutions for next year; have decided I'm getting my tattoo darkened (red's just not my colour anymore); and that I really really don't know what I want to do with my life.

That last bit sounds really heavy, doesn't it? But after reading The Hollow by Jessica Verday recently (review up soon), I realised how lucky some people are - The protagonist, Abbey, knows exactly what she wants to do with her life. She wants to open a perfume shop in Sleepy Hollow and design unique scents for every customer (it's a little more in depth than that but you get the general idea). Some people are so lucky that they know exactly what they want to do.

My little brother's the same. He's always wanted to write - has always been a natural, talented writer - and made his mind up a long time ago that he'd get into teaching to financially support his dream.

I have zero clue what I want to do. Not really. I've been through the whole list of career options:

- Vet (Doesn't every 7-year-old want to look after animals?)
- Pop star (Fabulous dreams of a 13-year-old that couldn't sing)
- Actress (Let's stick to that as a hobby)
- R.A.F. pilot (Doesn't work now because I don't believe in war. What stopped me at the time was having Asthma, flat feet, awful hearing, and short-sightedness.)
- Blurbologist (*snores* I need something a little more exciting.)
- Midwife (I think that dream lasted for a whole four days until I realised I suck at science)
- Film Reviewer
- Book Reviewer
- Author (Despite what the boyfriend says, I am not a good fiction writer. Descriptions are plentiful in my writing but stories never appear.)
- Journalist (Long, boring reasons for kicking that option in the teeth.)
- Teacher (Ah ha ha. That's a no. I hate children - Couldn't teach them. And university lecturers are too middle class for my liking.)

Anyway, you get the point. :P

I have no idea who I am and what I want to do . That's why I want to go travelling. I think travelling might help me in my 'road to discovery' and make me decide what I really want to go for in life. As much as I dream about reviewing films and books for a living, I don't know if I could actually go through with it. So many are made for money and say nothing important about the state of the world.


~*~*~


Enough of that heaviness. I took a two hour break between the last bit and now so I'm feeling a little perkier.

Last week I joined the 100 Mile Fitness Challenge. This is being hosted by Trish from Trish's Reading Nook. She also hosts the Classics Reading Challenge. As I'm failing that challenge, hopefully this exercise challenge will be one of hers I'll be able to complete. :P


The rules are that you walk or run 100 miles between the beginning of October and the end of December. This is something I need to do. I know how much chocolate I'll end up guzzling by Christmas time so it won't hurt to start getting some exercise now. I'm so unfit - unbelievably unfit, in fact. If I hit 50 miles by the end of the year, I'll be proud. Any more than that will be a bonus.

I can't remember why I started this post now or what the point to it was. :P

Anyway, more reviews and random stuff to come when I can get a moment's peace from my phone's constant ringing. For the last two weeks I've had three seperate scammer companies phoning me and leaving weird messages. I'm thinking of changing my number. Has anyone ever had to deal with this on their mobile before? What did you do?

(Edit: Oh, and if you haven't already done so, vote in my poll ;-) )  

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh I totally love the idea of the goal being 50 and the rest being icing. I'm unbelievably unfit. :(

Here's my problem with jobs: I want to write. I have a certain amount of talent, but so much involves sales skills (which I don't have) and pure luck. I'm working really hard, but at this point, I couldn't possibly support myself on my writing. Thankfully, Jason has a decent paying job which allows me to stay home and write. (Of course, at one point this was "Jason makes enough money for me to stay home with the kids, though I'd rather go to work than stay home, but sadly I can't make enough money to afford daycare so I HAVE to stay home...") In order to support myself, I have to look for something i wouldn't mind doing. My parents always thought I should be a teacher or a journalist, neither of which have I ever been the least interested in. I'd love to be an editor but that's not likely to happen. And then there's the most recent idea - becoming a librarian. Of course, I have to get through school first.

This sadly does not become any easier. :( I just hope I sell a book and make a decent amount of money off of it. And I hope you figure out what you're looking for, too.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I hope you figure out what you want to do, but I notice you omitted hairdresser! That was always my favorite as a little girl (along with most of those others!). Well, I didn't become any of my things, so I hope your wishes do a better job of coming true! You've already got the review thing going on!

I guess we can be thankful that at least now (and in this country) women do have choices, so that's a good thing!

Natascha De Marco said...

Girl Im right there with ya. First I thought I wanted to do architecture. Because Im good at drawing, plus Im good at math. but now Im not that sure I want to continue in that path. Now I really want to be a book editor. It's like my first option. So Im trying to get into Florida State to see what I can do about that.

And I so know that if I don't do any of those I would probably end up as a teacher. Oh the pain!

Anyways, try to do things you love!! If not, life ain't worth without it.

Peter S. said...

Hi, Ceri! I also would want to go travelling. However, with my work (I have 3 jobs -- one day job and 2 freelance jobs), I just have no time for it. If you really think that travelling would allow you to make important decisions about your life, then go for it! (And blog about your travel adventures too! I'd love to read all about them.)

The Bookworm said...

oh, dont worry about it. I cant comment on each and every post either :)
oh my gosh, glad you didnt burn anything.

I think as life goes on, we all discover what we are meant to do.

good luck with your 100 miles challenge!
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Jenny said...

I'm in the midst of loads of similar anxiety about what to Do With My Life. And house-sitting for my parents is a guarantee to make me extra unhappy. For some reason. It may have something to do with the fact that every time they leave town, and I come to stay to mind the house for them, something goes catastrophically wrong and casts doubt on my ability to be a proper grown-up. :P Like a window in the house will shatter, or their car radiator will break, or the dog will get violently ill...so I empathize.

Ceri said...

Thank you for your wonderful responses everyone.

Amanda - You have a lot of determination, a heck of a lot more than a lot of writers I know. It's quite unfortunate that the publishing industry is mostly about pimping yourself out a lot and, as you're really determined, I can see you getting published one day. I really can. :)

Jill - Thanks, me too. :) I've always wanted to be able to do hairdressing - that's a great trade to have behind you.

Taschima - Architecture? Wow. That's amazing. And really impressive. But I can totally understand the confusion over what to do. We're forced to choose what path we want to take in life before we even know who we are.

Peter - Thank you. :) I hope I get to do that. (And of course I'd be blogging about it. ;-) You wouldn't be able to stop me.)

Naida - Yeah, I hope so. :)

Jenny - You definitely understand what I mean then. It's so hard, isn't it? We're given so many opportunities now and it's hard to know what to do with them.

Melody said...

I always fear Mondays because I don't check my emails/Google Reader during the weekends and sometimes they can be overwhelming, LOL. But hey, I enjoy reading all the posts, though I might not have the time to post every comment on it. I wish I have the time to do so though!