Friday 4 September 2009

Review (but not really!): Sweeney Todd (2007)

Title: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street


Rated: 18
Release Date: January 25th, 2008


Director: Tim Burton
Starring: Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall, Sacha Baron Cohen


Rating: 5/5


Plot: Returning back to London after his wife and daughter were stolen by Judge Turpin, Benjamin Barker adopts the name Sweeney Todd and relocates his barber business to the top of Mrs. Lovett's pie shop. Todd wants his revenge on the man who has now adopted his daughter and works with Mrs. Lovett on an evil plan. Todd will slice the throats of the unsuspecting public while giving them a shave. These bodies are then turned into Mrs. Lovett's new meat pies. With this plan being successful, all Todd needs to do now is try to convince the Judge to sit in his chair.


------

My Thoughts: I can't do a review on this because I loved it so much. I find it so hard to properly review things that I love love love so this is more of a compilation of my thoughts.

Tim Burton's one of my favourite directors and until last night there were only a handful of his films I haven't seen: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Big Fish and this. I don't know why I hadn't seen this yet - especially as I already knew what the story was and was keen to see it.

I was definitely not disappointed. This film was amazing. It incorporates everything I love. It's two main characters, Sweeny and Mrs Lovett, are superbly sadistic and make fabulous schizophrenic sociopaths.

Burton is the perfect director for this story: the sets and costumes are gorgeous in true gothic Burton fashion. Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter are surprisingly fabulous choices for the lead roles. They can both sing. Like, really sing! None of that straining of the voice that you heard in Mamma Mia! They sound completely natural, and the supporting cast sound like they've stepped off the West End/Broadway stage. Perfect! :-D

A word to the wise: This film is much more gorier than what has been seen on stage. We've got blood gushings reminiscent of the first Kill Bill film, and bodies being dropped on their heads so we hear the bones in their neck crunch. Mmmm. If just having that described to you made you squirm, you probably don't want to see this.

Even though you should. ;-)

I think the gothic, dark, disturbing elements combined with the music, the costumes, the sets, and the fabulous acting (Helena Bonham Carter is a goddess, and Johnny Depp is ... well, Johnny Depp!) was an obvious winner for me. This film kind of pinpoints my sadistic sense of humour to a tea.

It's currently fighting it's way to a number one spot in my 'Favourite Musicals' list. Grease has always been an old favourite of mine but Sweeney Todd is a real treat. It's hard to choose. Sweeney's definitely pushed his way into my top ten favourite films. I can't believe I just said that but it's true. I loved this film that much. One day I'll have to post a proper 'Top Ten' favourite films list.

A few notes on the supporting cast: Ed Sanders (seen in clip 3 below) as Toby is so enigmatic to watch. What a little darling. I could listen to him sing all day. I sincerely hope he carries on with the acting - There's no doubt this young boy has star quality. And West End star Laura Michelle Kelly as the Beggar Woman was wonderful. She proves she has the beauty, talent, and strength to succeed on both stage and screen.

Of course, this post wouldn't be complete without mentioning the wonderful Alan Rickman - can this man ever do anything wrong? A true quintessential English actor - who plays the 'villain.' Or does he? Who isn't a villain in this film? I mean, it's main characters kill people. And cook them in pies! And feed them to the rest of London! Disgusting perfection. ;-)

This is such a lame 'review'. Just go and watch it. It's worth it. I love it. End of.

I have to leave you with a few musical clips. Watch one of the three below to give yourself a taster.

Clip 1: 'Little Priest' - Fabulous moment in the film when Sweeney and Mrs Lovett concoct their plan. ;-)

Clip 2: 'By the Sea' - Worth watching if only for the scene 1min11secs in - Sweeney and Mrs Lovett at the beach, and Sweeney's "Anything you say ... " Classic! :-D

Clip 3: 'God, that's Good!' - Short clip. One that I watched just before the film to whet my appetite. Does anyone else find the way Helena sings, 'Fresh supplies' insanely creepy??








 

6 comments:

Andreea said...

I don't know if I have heard of this movie before. However, it does sound interesting, especially the gothic elements:) Thanks for your lovely review:)

Ceri said...

Andreea - I'd definitely recommend it if you gothic elements to your stories ;-)

Melody said...

I haven't watched this, but I'll get the DVD! :P

Ceri said...

Mel - Do it! Do It! :-D

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I think your review is brilliant! I love this movie so much, Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham just ooze lovely nastiness.
But did I read that right? You haven't seen Big Fish! You must and soon. One of my most recommended movies. The book is wonderful too!

Ceri said...

Joanne - Thank you. :) That's right, I haven't watched Big Fish yet - it's on my 'need to watch soon' list though. ;-)