Thursday 6 August 2009

BTT: Serious Reading


Booking Through Thursday
's QOTW is:

What’s the most serious book you’ve read recently?
(I figure it’s easier than asking your most serious boook ever, because, well, it’s recent!)

I guess it kind of depends on the definition of 'serious.'

I'd call Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin a serious book because of the issues it dealt with. It gave a very hard look at all the things we put into our bodies on a day-to-day basis. Yes, it was done in a humourous 'in-your-face' way but the issues themselves were still very, very serious, and some I took to heart.

Likewise with Will Jellyfish Rule the World? by Leo Hickman. In spite of the fact that it was a children's book written to have fun with, it underlined some very important issues about climate change and what we can do to help our world.

The most serious in tone I've read recently is The Monk by Matthew Lewis, a book I didn't finish because of how monotone the narrator seemed and the neverending 'serious'ness of the way the story was told.  

5 comments:

Susan said...

I read Skinny Bitch awhile back, and some of the details - the processed meat plant stuff - were SERIOUSLY GROSS and hard to stomach, if you'll forgive the pun. Here's my response.

gautami tripathy said...

Never heard of it!

Seriously booking through it!

Kill Word Verification

The Bookworm said...

I read Skinny Bitch with a friend of mine and some of it was just waaaaay too descriptive for me. But I do think it was an eye opening read.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I read Skinny Bitch when it first came out. I was not impressed..LOL

Ceri said...

Susan - Yeah, I agree. If I hadn't already known 80% of the stuff there it would have been hard to swallow (excuse *my* pun). I've been veggie for six years and that book totally changed my life. Now I'm easing my way into veganism.

Gautami - I completely urge you to check it out.

Naida - Definitely. One thing worse than ignorance is those who prefer to stay ignorant so - as I always say to my meat-eating friends - if you're going to make the decision to eat meat, make sure you know where it's coming from.

Diane - It's definitely eye-opening. At least it's better that you know where the food's coming from, right?