Sunday 9 August 2009

The Lovely Bones (2009) trailer



I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. I just don't know. Ahh. I was told to read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold because it was apparently 'amazing,' and actually I was quite disappointed. It was alright. It just didn't blow my mind like it was apparently supposed to.

But, as far as the trailer goes, it doesn't look too bad. It looks pretty similar to the book and I still didn't have the 'Wow' reaction but I do love some of the actors in the film - Susan Sarandon, Stanley Tucci, Saoirse Ronan (who stole the film in Atonement and bravo on her for conquering that American accent) - so that would probably be the reason I might go to see it.

Mark Wahlberg still seems too young to be playing a father of teenage girls (I can't believe they originally cast Ryan Gosling in that role - he's 28!)

What do you think of the trailer?

BTW - what on Earth happened to Peter Jackson? He's introducing the trailer here and I couldn't believe my eyes when he popped up. I'm glad he's all healthy now but, as my boyfriend said, "It's sad when big cuddly people become skinny."
 

10 comments:

Lauren said...

I have to admit - I never finished reading the book. It wasn't because I didn't like it - it was just SO SAD. I do kind of want to finish it now, though, years later.

I think the trailer looks good! Again, I haven't finished the book so i don't have much to compare it to, but I like what they did. I like how Peter Jackson added the visual elements he brought to his previous films.

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

i haven't read the book either, although i've been hearing about how "mind blowing it is" i'll just have 2 see. the trailer looks good though.

ttyl :P

Ceri said...

Lauren - Yeah. It was very sad but I think the expectation was built up so much I found it so blahh. Yeah, I love Peter Jackson's moviemaking magic. I loved Heavenly Creatures.

Ceri said...

Faye - The trailer's not bad. I didn't find the book as awesomely fabulous as everyone said it was :-P But I know people who absolutely loved it. To each his own, I guess.

Kerri said...

I read the book a long time ago, and I really enjoyed it. The trailer looked great until she was in the 'middle place'. I've always had a hard time with fantasy scenes unless it is in something like a Harry Potter movie! I'll probably still go see it though.

(If you didn't love Lovely Bones, you should pass on her second novel Almost Moon - I had a really hard time liking that book. I have heard her memoir Lucky is pretty amazing though).

Susan said...

I read the book because I heard it was AMAZING - I did not see it. I almost didn't finish it, but I trudged on hoping to find something worthy of all the hype. In the end, it was just meh, okay for me.

Now the trailer for the movie actually looks pretty good. I love Marky Mark, so I'll probably go see it :)

Ceri said...

Kerri - I'm glad you enjoyed the book :-) And I had a hard time imagining her world too - I guess that's what Peter Jackson's good at - CGI and special effect work.

Susan - Haha! Marky Mark! That's exactly why I find it hard to picture him as the father of two teenage girls.

Violet said...

I didn't like the book that much either. I was good but not THAT good. Hopefully the movie will be better. I like all movie trailers, seriously.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I'm not sure what I think yet. I'll definitely re-read the book beforehand to refresh my memory. The cast is what really pulls me in - Sarandon is amazing in serious roles, Tucci looks eerie and I think Wahlberg may be able to pull this off very well.

Ceri said...

Violet - I agree. The film trailer looks alright. I do like Peter Jackson so I'm curious to see what he does with it.

Joanne - Same here. The cast are definitely winners for me.