Tuesday 25 August 2009

The September Issue (2009)

I don't agree with consumerism. There's nothing I own that I can honestly say I'd miss wholeheartedly if I lost it or broke it. I can amuse myself pretty easily and I don't own a lot of 'stuff' and appreciate my friendships more than my things.

I don't know the slightest thing about fashion - what's 'in' and what's 'out'. I think I bought Vogue once in my life and saw it as something full of clothes I could never afford and most I'd never wear. I have my own style - a kind of grungey, rock-chick, touch-of-hippy, gothic, electro combination - and very rarely buy things in huge high street stores. I don't agree with wearing fur and I don't agree with wearing leather (or any other animals products for that matter).

That being said, I LOVE Anna Wintour. This woman is a Goddess.

While I know nothing about her industry, I admire her so much because she is a woman who knows what her job entails and is good at it. She's been called an 'Ice Queen' on numerous occasions because of her stern face and over-professional attitude. She scares her employees and just about anyone who comes into contact with her. This is a hard-working, driven, and focused career woman who I look up to her and want to be like.

Women are often seen as 'bitches' or 'ice queens' when they choose to put a bigger focus on their career rather than on raising a family - Why? Men have done it for generations and generations. Why can't women do it? Anna Wintour is the epitome of the modern working woman. She's married twice and has two children but she's managed to fiercely climb her way to the top and prove that she has the smarts and expertise to do it right. (I mean, come on - During the recession, she put out an ad for *three* new personal assistants. Vogue must be doing fabulously well.)

The new documentary released next month, The September Issue, follows Wintour around at her work while the magazine prepares for the September Issue - the most important issue of the year. From what I can see from the trailer, the makers of The Devil Wears Prada hit the nail on the head with this one. It almost seems like a 'real' version of those events.

I can't wait to see it. I can't wait to watch the real 'Devil' do her job and I can't wait to get an inside look into her world.


 

3 comments:

Amanda said...

The things I'm really attached to are very sentimental in value - old diaries, photos, my writing notebooks, that sort of thing.

Ceri said...

Amanda - Yeah, its mostly sentimental stuff I'd miss but I don't have too many diaries or old writing notebooks. I guess photos would be what I'd miss the most.

Ceri said...

Naida - Yeah, it really does. :)