Thursday 6 August 2009

R.I.P. John Hughes

John Hughes: 1950 - 2009

This is really not a good year for talent. Director John Hughes has died in New York after a fatal heart attack. This is the man who is responsible for directing:
  1. Curly Sue (1991)
  2. Uncle Buck (1989)
  3. She's Having a Baby (1988)
  4. Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
  5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
  6. Weird Science (1985)
  7. The Breakfast Club (1985)
  8. Sixteen Candles (1984)

And writing the Home Alone films, the Beethoven films, the National Lampoon films, and the beautiful screenplay for the Miracle on 34th Street remake.

He hadn't done much in a long while and, as a fan of his '80s brat pack movies, I was hoping he'd come back with something awesome. At least we have a whole host of fun family (and teen) films to remember him by.  

7 comments:

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

oh no... i loved most of his movies. this is so sad..

Ceri said...

Faye - I agree, I'm genuinely saddened by his passing. But, I guess, at least we have a lot of amazing films to remember him by.

Lauren said...

I was really sad to see this this morning. I LOVE his films - he really was iconic for our generation.

The Bookworm said...

R.I.P. He directed some of my favorite movies.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Ceri said...

Lauren - I completely agree. He was the father of the teen movie movement (and *his* were 100 times better than the patronising crap that's released now.) It's so sad.

Naida - Mine too. :-(

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

This was so sad to hear :( While I've never been a fan of the family movies, his teen flicks are amazing. Breakfast Club will forever be a favorite of mine.

Ceri said...

Joanne - Mine too. His 80s teen movies were brilliant. And same about Breakfast Club - that film is definitely one of my favourites.